Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tell me about your life. Really. I want to know.


My new book is the biography of Ezra Taft Benson, the 13th President of the Church. I LOVE it.
I have said that I love biographies before, but I always wonder if one day I will become bored with reading about what someone's childhood was like or how they decided to marry the person they did.

But it's confirmed. I love reading about people's lives. It absolutely fascinates me. I love reading about their family life, their "coming of age", their friends, the process in which they made important decisions, and about the turning points in their lives.

Maybe I enjoy reading about lives because my life is mostly still ahead of me and I have no idea what is in store. What would my biography be like? How will I make those critical decisions? Looking back, what will be the turning points in my life? How am I making the most of every opportunity?

Whatever it is, I am hooked. And it feels so good. My next biography is going to be of Sandra Day O'Connor.

Has anyone else read any good ones? (except for Pres. Hinckley, John Adams, and Queen Noor)

5 comments:

  1. I love biographies too!!! LOVE THEM. My faves are autobiographies, actually-- Malcolm X (it's life changing) and Michael Jackson are must-reads.

    And also, I think that this is why I love working in the special collections so much. I get to learn about random people's lives, and what was important to them. It's just so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read very many biographies yet, but I like them too! One of the next ones on my list is Harry Truman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C. Edward Jacob. Oh wait, I haven't written it yet. . .
    I hope that when I do there will be enough people like you who will read the life story of an owlish early 20th century Mormon hydrologist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, biographies... I should try one some time.

    I did read one on Edgar Alan Poe a little while ago, but that was for a research paper...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lynne! I really like the biography of Parley P. Pratt, it's super interesting to see church history from his perspective.

    ReplyDelete