Friday, September 25, 2009

A look inside the mind of a typical Washingtonian (as observed by me--a reliable witness and diligent student of human behavior)

If you're only on the metro escalator for a minute, you don't notice. But if you're emerging from the depths of the earth where some of the trains operate (cough cough red line cough cough), and you have to entertain yourself to avoid falling asleep before reaching ground level, you notice that your hand is slowly moving away from your body.

And, since it's a new-fangled-moving-staircase escalator machine (and you are still disoriented from the metro ride), it takes you a moment to figure out what the problem is, regardless of how many college degrees you have.

Am I getting an ear infection? Is my sense of balance off? Am I still dizzy from the train and simply imagining my hand is getting away from me? Is my hand self-aware? Audaciously trying to escape from my body in broad daylight, ninja-like?

After staring at your hand for several moments as it continues to stretch away from you, it hits you:

The moving railing of the escalator to get on the metro is moving ever-so-slightly faster than the actual escalator.

Ha! The triumph of a logical solution! Yes! That is the solution to your spatial disorientation for the past 30 seconds! A wave of self-satisfaction washes over you. But, as quickly as it came, another thought hits you:

Why in the world can't the escalator keep up with the handrail?! I mean, I would have been able to think about the mini cilantro dumplings waiting for me at home for at least 30 more seconds...sigh.

How annoying.

3 comments:

  1. Haha...you said this to me earlier today! I should start paying more attention to what you comment on and then try to guess what you'll be blogging about later that day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim Gaffigan does a comedy bit on this. It makes me laugh and you make me happy.

    Enjoy

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMr8JdF6oPw

    (If you don't have time to watch the whole thing you busy girl… the bit starts at about 1:50)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true--I perfectly remember when my mind made this oh-so-important connection! My life felt fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete