Monday, November 8, 2010

I have the great privilege of being a friend

I have the great privilege of being a friend.

As I prepare for graduation and reflect on my experience at BYU, I am staggered by the positive influence of hundreds of great people I have met here.

I guess I took some classes, got some grades, and "learned stuff" in college, but my academic experience pales in comparison to the experiences I have had with scores of decent, generous people.

I'm lucky to have many friends, but I am decidedly blessed to have a handful of very very close friends. Jerusalem. Choice apartments with excellent roommates. Washington Seminar. Writing Fellows. OACL. Group projects. Elms Ward. Colony Ward. Banbridge Ward.

I know this post is effusive and overly gushy, but as I look forward to a post-BYU life, I find myself emotionally overwhelmed! I have tremendous examples in my life. And they have changed me.

I'm excited to meet and become friends with many more people in the future, but I pause to remember all of the happy seasons I have seen, so far. And I have enjoyed them so immensely, that I'm hesitant to let them go.

But, then I look around and I realize I already have. Many of my closest friends are on missions right now. Many have moved away. Sometimes I hurt because I miss their uplifting presence in my life. But as I hesitantly leave one period of life, I find myself making deep friendships in the next as well. Steph in high school. Charlie and Allie my freshman year. Rachel, Jenessa, Erin, Holly and Sarah Jane in Jerusalem. Nicole, Jackie, Lindsey, Lana, Rachel, Andrea, Kelly, Abby and Emily in the Elms. Alyse in Writing Fellows. Abby, Rachel, and Kelli in Washington. Audrey, Dani, Rachelle in Banbridge. And I know the pattern will continue.


But I very much enjoy the memories! And they always make me smile. And usually laugh.

I don't even know where to begin. Road trip with Jenessa, Erin, and Holly. Sarah Jane cracking me up, pretty much with every word. Lana pantsing Lindsey. Getting lost in the Old City with Ness and Erin. Jenessa changing into a black shirt so I could cry on her shoulder. Emily spilling the contents of the blender all over the floor. Laughing so hard I cry. Andrea teaching me about testimony and kindness. Nicole teaching me about listening. Jenessa teaching me about caring. Erin, about fearlessness. Charlie reminding me not to take life too seriously. Allie teaching me about fashion. Liz, about reading. Lana, about mangoes. Walking into Abby's room like it was mine. Road trip with Rachel. Getting lost, yelling at the GPS, laughing, running, climbing up a waterfall, trying on wigs with Abby and Rachel. Pretending to be an english major with Alyse. Racquetball with Rachel. Running and running and running with Dani. Conversations about cupcakes turning into existential discussions. Sharing imperfections/insecurities. Nails with Audrey. RDJ with Audrey. Running from the parking lot to 8 a.m. logistics with Rachelle. Rachelle, Audrey, and Dani about laughing at life/laughing through life and that it's okay to be obsessed with HSM3. Talking for hours at the kitchen table. Kelli always encouraging me. Cupcakes and basketball with Kelli. Andrea teaching me about service and working hard. Encouraging notes left on my bed when I needed an encouraging word. Laughing and crying with every single person mentioned above.

Unfailing love.

I have the great privilege of being a friend.




3 comments:

  1. lynne.
    i love you so much.
    and i love this post. thank you for being such an amazing friend and running buddy. let's always stay in touch. you are an amazing person and are going to do incredible things with your life. fo sho :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See if you can find "Kaddish L'anashim" by Brian Doyle. You have caught the spirit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are EXCELLENT, lynne. so glad i am a follower of your blog so i could read this. wf 4eva.

    ReplyDelete