Saturday, October 30, 2010

0-13.1 miles in less than a year

Dani and I are now officially half-marathoners!

We dragged ourselves out of bed at 5:30 a.m., rolled to the shuttle bus, napped to aspen grove and then huddled in the heated tent. I forced myself to eat a cliff bar and most of that carbohydrate goo they gave us in our packet. Searching for porta-potties under a starry night sky and trying to nap on asphalt both sent Dani and I reeling back to our Red Rock Relay days...[nostalgic gaze into the distance]...

At 9:00 a.m. we lined up with approximately 2,300 other costume-bedeckt crazy people and started down the canyon. The first few miles were chaos. People everywhere! One girl fell early on and broke her wrist. A few people here and there started walking after about two miles.

I ran with Dani for about 5-6 miles. Neither of us ran with an iPod. It was a beautiful fall day and there were a lot of entertaining people/costumes to look at and think about.

2 hours and five minutes after taking off from the Stewart Falls parking lot, Dani finished. Ten minutes after that I finished. My legs felt really good, my lungs/heart felt really good, but my right ankle really hurt. I didn't sprain it, but it seems like some sort of deep tendon bruise.

At the end, Kit, Rachel, and Dani were waiting and cheering for me! It felt great! Then we went to celebrate at Five Guys. There's nothing like burning 1500 calories and then gaining them back again in one sitting. :-)

2 comments:

  1. we. are. awesome.

    when's the next race?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. That's amazing.

    And how dare you not post pictures.

    ReplyDelete