Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Older men hit on younger women here. And it's weird.

For your enjoyment, an anecdote to illustrate my small-town, Utah naivety:

It was my second week in D.C. I had just gone to my first hearing on the Hill and was riding home on the metro. I was wearing a fantastic suit from Calvin Klein and carrying my laptop, so I imagine I looked a few years older than 21.

I stood up because my stop was coming up, and as I did so, a man stood up to give me something. At first I thought he was just being nice and trying to give me his old metro pass, because he said, "I think you should take this." He had a weird look on his face. Enough to make me wonder if he was all the way "there" mentally, even though he looked well enough put together.

I realized that he was handing me a business card, not a metro pass.

I stupidly said something like, "are you sure don't need this?"

He replied, "take it if you ever need a contact in the military". And then smiled a weird smile. Yep, I thought, lost his marbles.

As I was riding the escalator up to the surface, staring at this business card, "Dept. of Defense, Saudi Arabia Program Director," I realized what had just happened and gasped out loud.

And then I laughed, because it's not every day that I get hit on by a military officer in his 40s.

2 comments: