Friday, October 23, 2009

On looking Scandinavian

A few weeks ago someone asked me where my family was from. After replying that I grew up in Utah, he asked where my ancestors were from. I told him my dad's side comes from Norway. He looked pleased and started nodding, "ah, that's where the eyes are from."

I was surprised by our conversation because I don't look tremendously like anyone in my family. How could I look like my great-grandpa was born in Norway?

Then, after weeks of arranging schedules and one random run-in on the metro, I found (or rather, re-found) a cousin who proved that I wasn't adopted from Norway and shipped to the U.S. as a child.

Ahem. I present to you--the nebulous, expansive internet--Jenna and Lynne, the floaters in the Gabrielsen gene pool:

Ice cream in Annapolis (bless the person who invented chocolate fudge)
Okay, I'm not related to this guy, but I was drawn to him all the same...
In front of the Nited States Aval Academy.

No comments:

Post a Comment