Thursday, October 1, 2009

"Saying it looked good for a Communist building is like saying, 'you don't sweat much for a chubby girl"

I just got on facebook and saw that one of my most entertaining and engaging professors is retiring in December. I took an honors lit class from Prof. Alan Keele the semester after I got back from Jerusalem. I wish I had written down all of the things he said that made me laugh or that made me think. He is a different "breed" of professor at BYU, but because he is different, he is invaluable. I think BYU's students were lucky to learn from him over the past few decades.

Here are some of the quotes in the facebook group I just joined ("Alan Keele was my professor)

(Btw, there are many more where these came from, but I simply can't remember them! Just imagine every single class full of definitely biased commentary from a center-left professor at an extremely conservative school. It was fun.)

"The only thing [the TA] said that I disagree with is that the papers look pretty good."
"Here the logic slides sideways off the page."
"One time this actually made sense; forget about it now."
"My brother who is a retired religion professor and is suspicious of me gave me his usual lecture…"
"It’s actually a real accident of history that we aren’t all speaking Turkish right now."
"Can you see the problem with damning people to hell for old times?"
"Mormons need to be inoculated against believing the wrong things."
"There’s an infinite number of things you can do wrong in this class."
"My son and I spent two weeks in Spain randomly riding trains from one mosque to another and also admiring the beautiful women."

and my personal favorite...

"Saying it looked good for a communist building is like saying, 'You don't sweat much for a chubby girl.'"

1 comment:

  1. I feel like we're at the end of an era of awesome professors at BYU. I just wish they would wait to retire until we graduated!

    ReplyDelete